Sunday, December 16, 2007

Picture Sunday

Hello, end of weekenders, and welcome to another round of Picture Sunday. We will now have a recipe du jour. (*rustle, rustle, looking at papers*) Ahem. We will not have a recipe du jour.

Thank you, "The Music Man." You have a million quotable lines, but that may well be my favorite.

Anyway, no recipe tonight, because I've spent the entire day involved with the Christmas pageant here in town. Two performances, they both came off fairly well, I made my share of mistakes but did OK on the solos, and the second performance was greatly enhanced by some ringers in the choir. One in particular had a booming bass voice the like of which I'm not sure I've heard before. It was fun, and even better, it's now over. And there's a statement where you really don't want to confuse "now" with "not."

OK. Let's talk Christmas.

Due to some dodgy weather here, I didn't get to head to B'burg on Saturday and so I decided to do some local shopping. Disappointing to be sure, but I got a nice chunk of Christmas List wiped off. Finally decided on a gift for The Nephew, but am now worried I've left it too late. I hope everyone out there has the option of Federal Express.

Later last night, though, Mr M and I were having a little chat via Messenger, and we came up with the World's Perfect Christmas Gift. And as a public service to those of you out there still stumped for that special gift for your nearest and dearest, I shall announce it to you now.

The anvil.

I have a feeling you might be doubting us a little. But trust us, please.

1. The anvil comes in all shapes and sizes. You'll never buy one for someone and have them return it because it doesn't fit.

2. The anvil never wears out. It has a two thousand year warranty.

3. The anvil is a great conversation piece.

4. The anvil can also be used as a coffee table.

5. The anvil will not blow away during a hurricane.

6. The anvil comes in different colors, and can be painted if it doesn't come in a color your loved one likes, like puce.

7. The anvil makes a great barrier so people won't park in your driveway.

8. The anvil makes a great sound when you hit it with a hammer.

9. The anvil shines up really nice.

10. You'll never have to clean under an anvil.

11. Shipping costs for an anvil can usually be kept to under $200.

12. The anvil holds heat, so if you put it out in the sun during the day, you can bring it in at night and it will heat your house.

13. The anvil can double as a musical instrument, if your band plays "The Anvil Chorus."

14. If you're stuck for a last minute idea, you can receive an anvil in less than 20 seconds, provided you order it from Acme.

So there. The only downside is that a really nice anvil is rather pricey, but really, isn't it worth it to give the gift that keeps on giving? I think it is.

Speaking of the holidays, I hope everyone got a chance to see my Holiday Special, which is contained in the blog entry below. I was particularly happy with the casting. I hope to leave it up for a little while, but I have a feeling I'll eventually have to remove it when it starts taking up too much space or crashing out my blog.

However!

However, not to be outdone, Mr M has weighed in with his own little film. Yes, my best buddy is trying his best to keep me from winning an Oscar by trying to nab one himself. His isn't holiday-themed, but it's a pip. It's a musical along the lines of Oklahoma, only much, much better. And I'm giving you the link to go check it out.

Go watch Mr M's movie.

In case you're wondering, the cast list is such: Boys are Sherman in his "Pops Sherman" disguise and Huckleberry Hound, and Girls are the DeepFatFriar and my clarinet nemesis (for those of you who remember the whole Chicago Symphony Blue Windbreaker Clarinetfest debacle) Larry Combs. I have to admit that, upon seeing Mr Combs in this movie, I laughed so hard coffee came out my nose.

And now on to a few pictures. Not mine.

You all remember Hiram, don't you? Just like I have The Boys, the cartoon characters who live with me here at the Poderosa, Mr M has Hiram, his large rubber vulture. Hiram makes an annual appearance at Oktoberfest, but the rest of the time stays at Mr M's workplace. This is because he took Hiram to work one day and his co-workers wouldn't let him go back home.

Here's the best picture I can find of Hiram at Oktoberfest.




















Rather formidable. Here's what these geeky computer nerds have done with Hiram at the office.









































































I think he looks stunning, and it makes me wish I worked in a place where people were not only creative, but also had the time to put costumes on rubber vultures.

And that's about it from me. Happy week.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* Remember - the ACA (Anvil Council of America) is counting on you to push anvil sales this holiday season through the roof.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Duke said...

I'm with you on anvils but they have some problems.

1. Anvils don't float so people in houseboats shouldn't own them.

2. They are pretty heavy so if you live in a treehouse like Tarzan you might not want one.

3. Anvils taste teally bad.

4. They make very poor keyrings.

5. No matter how hard you try they can't be hidden under the rug.

6. They make the worst jewelry you can imagine, especially ear rings.

7. They don't fit on the back shelf of your car.

I'd still rather have one than a Chia Pet.

3:59 AM  
Blogger stennie said...

People in houseboats can use the anvil as an anchor. You have to think outside the box, Duke.

Unlike its rubber chicken cousin, Hiram the rubber vulture really looks *real*. The one up in the eaves in particular looks very sinister to me.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

The anvil is very useful for home protection. It will also protect you from coyotes, especially if you're on top of a cliff. Great idea.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

An anvil will never cheat on you

An anvil won't ever ask you if you've ever considered a threesome

Anvils and vultures color-coordinate

Anvils don't expire and they don't smell funny.

Most importantly, Anvils don't go on strike, leaving you hanging on who all died in Desperate Housewives.

Excellent idea.

I wonder how long it will take Crate and Barrel to start making anvil slip covers?

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home