Sunday, January 27, 2008

Picture Sunday? Well, Not As Such, But CDs? CDs, Yes!

Hello, end of weekenders. There's no Picture Sunday this week, although there is a recipe du jour.

I've had something of a slacker weekend. See, I was sick Friday. And when I say I was sick, I'm telling you right here and now, I was sick. When your humble blogger ditches work for a day in her bathrobe curled up in the Comfy Chair, something is amiss, and it was. I was feeling a little better by the afternoon, but to be honest with you, I still don't think I'm back to my old self. I think I may have a touch of sinus infection.

I soldiered on to B'burg on Saturday for clarinet quartets, which, when I got there, were clarinet trios. Nevermind, the three of us had a good time playing. It was me, Mr M, and one of Mr M's students, a nice guy who's just right on the lip of having a really good time. I'm hoping one of these afternoons I'll say the right (or wrong) thing and get him to break out into an actual laugh.

Other than that, I wasn't much company. I slept most of the weekend, and even turned down the chance to go out to the movies so I could stay in and watch TV.

I came home today and sat around like a limp dish rag.

So I'm sure it comes as no surprise to you that I have no pictures for you, be thankful I even have a recipe for you. Instead, since the Sixth Great CD Mix Exchange has come and gone and the CDs are winging their ways to all of us participants, I thought it might be a good night to post my track listing.

For those of you not participating, this Exchange was called "The Do-Over," because all of the song categories had appeared on previous Mix Exchanges.

Here we go.

1. Sellout - song from a TV commercial: "Baby, Please Don't Go," by Them. Them! Those? No, Them! Them, featuring none other than Van Morrison on lead vocals. This song was used in a commercial that happened so many years ago I'm not quite sure whose product it was advertising, so I guess it didn't do a very good job. It was either Audi or Volkswagen, and featured a winding mountain road with cars and cars and cars driving around all those curves. At dusk, because their headlights were on. Even though the advertisers didn't make me remember who they were shilling, I sure appreciated them using this song, because I've loved it for years.

2. A song in a foreign language: "Cocoreyo," by The Arkin Family. Or as Mr M once said when I found this obscure gem of an album, Alan Fucking Arkin and the Whole Fucking Arkin Family. I don't know how many of these little vinyl nuggets are out there, the album was produced by Parents Magazine. And happy, happy day, it contained this song, sung in Spanish, about a Mexican chicken. Mexican chickens don't say "cock-a-doodle-doo," you know. They say "cocoreyo." As we find out. Mr F Arkin, man of many talents, actor, writer, teacher, singer, guitarist, and personal idol, also plays the flute on this one. Do his talents ever end?

3. A song about cheating: "Fake In Heart," by Pokey LaFarge. It's a joke between Stennie and I. We're often caught saying, "There are no songs about ____ (fill in the category of your choice)" when trying to do these mixes. Of course, there are hundreds, we just can't think of them. It took me forever to find a cheating song, but I chose this one because it not only mentions the man-woman cheating obvious to the category, but is also about people being mean and talking behind your back, which is certainly another kind of cheating. And it's by Pokey! Pokey LaFarge, also occasionally known as Pokey Hackensaw, who filled in on mandolin when Mahlon Hackensaw was off on paternity leave. Pokey's a total sweetheart, and when I met him, he sang me a song.

4. A song that makes you cry: "Center of Asia," by Paul Pena. This is from the great documentary "Genghis Blues," about Paul Pena and his trip to Mongolia to study Tuvan throat singing. Think that sounds dull? Well, think again, my friends. This film is at once interesting, uplifting, heartwarming, and yes, sad. At the point Paul sings this song, he's very sick (he's blind and a diabetic), can't get the medicine he needs, and has been told he has to end his trip and go back home. He sits in a room with his guitar and sings this song about being in the center of Asia, and it's about the saddest thing you'll experience.

5. A B-side - you remember B-sides: "See No Evil," by REM. Of course I remember B-sides, I'm a vinyl girl. I used REM last time this category appeared, so I was hoping to go in a different direction, like maybe a song where the B-side was as popular as the A-side. But REM are just rife with terrific single B-sides, and this is one of my favorites. It's a cover of the old Television song, and appeared as a B-side on one of the Christmas singles the band used to send out to their fans. And still may, but they don't to me anymore. I don't know what Michael's getting up to there at the end of the song, but it sure sounds fun. REM used to do this on rare occasions back in the good days when I'd go see them live all over the place. It was always great because at the end Pete Buck would run over and sing backing vocals. Which if you know your REM, Pete never sang.

6. A kickass cover song: "Wichita Lineman," by Freedy Johnston. Ahhh, the good old kickass cover song. It's a constant in the Mix Exchange. Sometimes it has a twist that makes it harder to pick a song, but this time it was back to the plain old kickass cover of your choice. And finally, after being an alternate more times than I can count, "Wichita Lineman" finally makes it to a CD. Normally the reason I leave it off is because it's rather slow, which some would fail to classify as "kickass." But it's so well done, and gives such a nice feeling to a great song, I'm giving it the legend "kickass" here and now.

7. An earworm - song you hear once and it's in your head all day: "Always Been A Rambler," by The Mercury Dimes. This song is older than dirt, and the melody line just gets into my bloodstream and festers. Add the mournful (and rather sinister-sounding) fiddle to it, and you have yourself an earworm. Or I do, anyway. I like how this song starts out about a man who likes to ramble, gamble, and drink, and then heads to the farmer with the beautiful daughter. You think, "Oh, boy, a farmer's daughter joke!" But this song is no joke, it's a tale of lost love. The Hackensaw Boys have been known to cover this one now and then, but I adore the Mercury Dimes' version - it's very old-time mountainy, just as it should be.

8. A great live track: "Nashville," by The Hackensaw Boys. Well, speaking of The Boys. How could I not use them as "great live track?" I mean, they're the most fun live band ever to take a stage. I almost went with another song for this, but it was an old traditional tune, and I thought it only fair to use one of the Hackensaws' original numbers. Great vocals, great charismo solo (go, Salvage Hackensaw!), faster than shit, and, well, by the time the Boys are singing, "Gonna pack my mule and ride," tell me you're not tapping a foot. Go ahead, I dare you.

9. Title out of nowhere - the song's title is mentioned nowhere in the song's lyrics: "True Faith," by New Order. I like to use a song for this category that not only doesn't say its title (well, if it did, I couldn't use it, could I?), but also leads you to believe the song is called something else. When "True Faith" came out, I loved it immediately, and went around stores looking for the single (remember those?), thinking it was called "Morning Sun." But it wasn't, was it? As I said in the CD insert, I think a lot of what I call "machine music" doesn't hold up well with age, but this one does. And that video - remember it? The people in weird rubber suits, and the two guys slapping each other's faces to to the drumbeat.

10. A song you've discovered since the last CD Mix Exchange: "The Mistress Witch From McClure (or The Mind That Knows Itself)," by Sufjan Stevens. Now, it's odd how this song is my recently discovered song. I've owned the album this is on, "Avalanche," for over a year. However, I'd never really listened to it. I'd sort of "spot listened." It's an album of outtakes, and contains three versions of Sufjan's "Chicago," a lot of songs lasting about 20 seconds, and a few songs deleted from the "Illinois" album. After recently seeing that "Danielson" movie, I picked it back up and listened, and found three really terrific songs on it, and this one's my favorite. I mean, how could you not love a song that uses, "Oh, my God" so effectively as a backing vocal? I had this as my "cheating" song for some time, then realized that what the boys see in the song may not actually be cheating. We don't know about the dad's situation. It sure does paint a vivid picture, though.

11. A duo or vocal collaboration: "Flesh #1 (Beatle Dennis)," by Robyn Hitchcock and Glenn Tilbrook. Miracle of Miracles! I found this one while going through CD and record after CD and record looking for "cheating" songs! Finding it was a godsend, and it cleared up this category so I could, well, truth be told, so I could completely re-tool my mix and put a lot of songs in different places. This is an odd little number, as if Robyn Hitchcock does any little numbers that aren't weird. I do like the lines, "Everyone worries so much about themselves/Everyone wishes so much upon themselves." Nice going, boys.

12. A geographical location song: "The Fly That Rode From Buffalo," by Southern Culture on the Skids. Why this song? Why this song when there are 15 million other location songs? Why this song when I could have used SCOTS in so many other categories? I don't know! This song makes me laugh out loud, and is fun to sing, and I like to listen to it in the car. And that's enough for me. Hope it is for you.

13. Musical question - song's title asks a question: "Where is Groovy Town?" by The Young Fresh Fellows. I can't remember if I've used the Fellows before on a mix. I've certainly tried. Great late 80s/early 90s band from Washington State. This song does in fact ask where there is a place where they don't have to hear, "I don't like what you do, what you think, or what you say."

14. And answer! This song's title answers the question of the previous song: "New Orleans," by Gary "US" Bonds. I couldn't think of any better answer to, "Where is Groovy Town?" than, "New Orleans." I'm actually kind of proud of this little couplet. It's like after being asked where Groovy Town is, Mr "US" Bonds takes the time to not only answer, but give an explanation to The Young Fresh Fellows. "Come on, take a trip, they've got honeysuckle, every belle is a Mississippi queen, listen to the dixieland." I'd like to see him leading them around town, actually.

15. Four letter word - song's title is a four letter word: "Smut," by Tom Lehrer. This was an alternate for the last mix's "four letter word." I tried to come up with something new and fresh, but kept coming back to "Smut," because it's just so damn funny. And not only is the title a four letter word, it's kind of, well, a four letter word. "I could tell you things about Peter Pan, and the Wizard of Oz, there's a dirty old man!"

16. A song about one of the Seven Deadly Sins: "The Money Song," by Monty Python. Is this a song? I do not know. It was a sketch back on the old TV show, and it's under a minute long, which is manna from Heaven in CD Mix Exchangeland. And is there anything greedier than these men singing, "There is nothing quite as wonderful as money?" I think not. Case closed.

17. A song you'd be embarrassed to play in front of your mom (or Stennie's mom, if yours is kind of cool): "Dirty-Mouthed Flo," by Robbie Fulks. Now, odd thing, this one. You'd think with a title like "Dirty-Mouthed Flo," this song would have more cussin' in it than you could shake a stick at. However, there's not one rude word in the whole song. However, it's got a couple of lines that are worded in a way that's pretty sexually graphic. May be mild by your standards, but not mine, not in front of Mom. And this just goes to prove that when I start out statements by saying, "Well, I'm no prude, but...," I guess I actually am.

18. A song about violence or death: "Caleb Meyer," by Gillian Welch. I love this song. The guitar work makes me want to pick up a guitar and play till I can play it, even if my fingers fall off. (Which would probably be fairly quickly, as I don't play the guitar.) Has violence, death, praying, great vocals, and, well, did I mention I love this song?

19. A guilty pleasure song: "No Time To Kill," by Clint Black. Ohhh, yeah. As I said when sending out my CDs, this genre of music usually has me running for the exits. I like old country, alt-country, psycho country, bluegrass, old-time, and honky-tonk music, but modern commercial country music just makes my damn skin crawl. 99% of it is utter and complete crap. But occasionally it produces a diamond, like this one. Great lyrics, and a melody line that just won't quit. A damn-near perfect example of writing a country song. And I don't know why, but there's just something so Beatlesque about it for me. I'd love to hear someone cover this.

20. An amnesty song - a song that fits two of the above categories: "What Am I Doing Hanging 'Round?" by Those Big Belt Buckles. This song comes from a little nugget of a CD called "Here No Evil," which is a bunch of crazy-ass covers of Monkees songs. So it's a kickass cover, mark that one off. It also asks a question, so mark that one off. It's also a nice version of the original, which is one of my favorite Monkees songs. (And yes, I love the Monkees. Not a bit ashamed to say that.)

21. A Bonus Track!!: "Leaning on the Lamp Post," by Herman's Hermits. I had no intentions of adding a bonus track to my mix, but when I realized my final song was a question song, and I realized I had the perfect answer, I couldn't help myself. And I also love Herman's Hermits. Hey, it's my childhood, OK?

So there you have it. Another Mix Exchange come and gone.

And now, the recipe du jour.

You know, I like coffee. I like coffee a little too much, actually. And you might like it too. Sure, every once in a while Those In The Know will come up with some benefits coffee may have, like antioxidants, but the naysayers usually have the final word. Until tonight! Because I've come up with something no one can poo-poo. From the "Because I Care" file at cardland, will you please say hello to Totally Benign Coffee.























Yes, this is your basic coffee, pick your personal favorite. However, instead of cream, I've stirred an entire small bottle of Pepto Bismol into it. I've let it cool down to "tepid" stage, cool enough to be poured safely into a glass. Then I rimmed the glass with toothpaste, and sprinkled the contents of two Tylenol PM capsules over the top. There you have it folks - a coffee that won't upset your stomach, won't burn you, won't stain your teeth, and won't keep you awake. It's totally benign coffee.

You know, I try to be cost-conscious when making the recipe du jour, and was a little worried at the prospect of buying a bottle of Pepto. Imagine my bliss at finding a cheap-o brand for $1.99.

Happy week.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* You've got to be kidding. Look at the size of this blog! I've been sick! I have no updates!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Duke said...

I've heard boose burns out a sinus infection. Couldn't hurt to try some orally.

I'm a big fan of the Monkees TV show of all things. Yes I know they were completely fabricated and the show was a rip off of a Beatles movie but after all these years it still seems fresh and alive. The kids were likeable and nothing was evil tempered about it. Just a fun show. The music was ok too. I guess you know Mike's mother invented White Out?

Get well!

2:19 AM  
Blogger bitterspice said...

Cool CD. I love the concept of the mix CDs, but after the last one I participated in, I found it required a level of commitment that I lacked. And a much larger music collection than I have.

Just to let you know, I am allergic to aspirin (the last two I took tried to kill me), so that Pepto-Frapuccino would probably be not so benign for me. Now I have to worry that if I ever accepted a drink from you, I would have to ask you whether it's laced with pharmaceuticals. Recreational drugs, I can handle. Pepto? Not so much.

However, I think pink and brown are a cool combination of colors.

1:01 AM  
Blogger Lily said...

Look -- it's a recipe that both gives and cures your heartburn in one fell swoop!

And Bitterspice and I obviously can never share our drugs. I'm allergic to the leading non-aspirin painkiller, so I have to avoid most over-the-counter all-in-ones. I have never known the joy of Nyquil...

4:31 PM  
Blogger Mr. Middlebrow said...

Great mix, as usual, Bet.

I'm right there with you on the dismal state of contemporary commercial country--its self-loathing failure to embrace the twang is the root of the problem.

Clint Black is one of the rare exceptions who stays true to the spirit of genre and still manages to get played. His "Killing Time" is one of the great timeless contry songs. It could easily have been done by Merle Haggard in the '60s.

I've got some other good examples, by Clint and others, but I think I'll save 'em for another mix.

10:33 PM  
Blogger Mr. Middlebrow said...

A couple-three more observations:

Is it just me, or does Pokey Lafarge sound like the vocal love child of Billie Holiday and William Sanderson?

I love how many of your songs have that warm, loving vinyl crackle. Seriously.

That Gillian Welch song is outstanding.

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home