Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me

Yes, folks, it's that very special day, the day one turns another year older and does all those birthday-type things.

First off, thanks to all who remembered me, whether it was with presents (which rocked, believe me), cards (which also rocked, believe me), or good wishes (which rocked as well, believe me). I've said it many times though it can't be said enough, I have the coolest friends in the world.

Now to the real thoughts of birthdays. See, the older I get, the less I want to have big birthday celebrations. It's not that I hate the thought of getting older, though I can't say I'm overly enamored of it, it's just that the whole deal becomes a little more tiring with each year.

I realized when the Dear Nephew was graduating back in June that your so-called "special occasions" turn out sometimes to not be so special for the honoree but for those surrounding the honoree. There was the Nephew trying to blow off steam, say goodbye to his classmates, enjoy the end of twelve long years of schooling, and everywhere he turned he had family and friends of family wanting a piece of his time. I was one of those, but I tried to keep my distance and let him have his day. Because by that time, I was coming to that realization.

And it's the same with birthdays, weddings, awards ceremonies, and the like.

Last week I made something of a mistake when I casually asked the folks, who are preparing for a return trip to Florida, when they were leaving, and if they'd be around for my birthday. My reason in asking this was actually quite innocent. I had a pedicure scheduled for tonight, and I needed to know whether to keep it on tap or cancel. It turned out to not be such a small deal, for the folks took this as a plea from yours truly for them to please stick around and indulge me in a Big Birthday Bash. I promise you this was not on my mind. But they thought too hard and loved too much and postponed their return to Florida for my day. So long, Birthday of Quiet Solitude.

I was of a fairly foul demeanor when the day began. It's a standing TheCompanyIWorkFor rule that we get our birthdays off. Well, my friend, workmate, and mother figure San was off yesterday with the flu. The same flu I've had for God knows how long and shows no signs of leaving my body. I had a feeling she might not show today, and if that was the case, bye-bye day off. The boss told me she'd call me this morning and let me know if she got the sick call from San. When the phone still hadn't rung at 8 am, I went ahead and got up and ready for work. At about 8:40, I got the call saying no sick call had come, so it was assumed San was coming to work. By that time I was already dressed and had several work items I really needed to get to today, so I said I'd come on in, finish those up, then it was adios, chums.

I got to work. San was not there. She never showed up. Yes, folks, what does it say to the kind of work mule I am that the same strand of flu she's taken two days off for, I took approximately two hours off for. Ah, well. Such is my lot.

(I'm saving that birthday off, though, and will pull it out at the appropriate time. Possibly San's birthday.)

Anyway, I moped around work, was way too busy for my liking, especially on a day when I wasn't even supposed to be there, and came home and prepared for dinner with the family. The whole family, minus the Nephew, which would have made things so much nicer, but university calls, and he must answer.

Now that my folks are officially Old People (wait for it, people, you'll love it), going anywhere with them is an adventure. They order wrong, they complain about everything and everyone, and it gets really tiring. I still love them both dearly, we all know that, but sometimes I just want to scream. At least I sat on the same side of the booth as they did, so they couldn't sit across from, and stare at, me for a couple of hours.

After dinner, we all convened at their house, and when Granny & Paw went upstairs for a bit, my sister, the brother-in-law, and I stayed downstairs and got a helpless case of the giggles over this. We call it "falling through the crack." This came about because several years ago they made a flight out west, and the sister and Nephew took them down to the airport and made sure they got on the right plane at the right time. It was apparently a herculean task, and when they finally entered their boarding area, Taylor turned to his mother and said, "I know we're not allowed back there, but should we just stay and watch to make sure they don't fall through that crack between the loading ramp and the plane?"

We all laughed so hard after dinner that I took on a massive coughing fit, but it was worth it. Once the laughing started, I realized that that "special occasion" thing was indeed true. I'll have other birthdays, hopefully, possibly more than either of my parents. Let them have this birthday of mine. I'll have a Night of Quiet Solitude another time.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* Acrowinner. We have acrowinner. Yes, only one of you took up the gauntlet. So, what are you going to do to wake me up?
- This week's acrowinner is the DeepFatFriar, with his, "One megaton explosion generated near acrobasket." Friar, it doesn't matter if no one else entered, I have a feeling it would have won anyway. It was a brilliant acro. And the arobasket thanks you for his place in the spotlight.
- Thanks for playing!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger stennie said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BET!!!!

My Dad is officially an old person also. Going anywhere with Dad, particularly going out to eat, always includes a half hour hunt for his reading glasses, which always end up being in the car, where he left them the night before so that he would have them handy for reading the breakfast menu.

Hope you get your Night of Quiet Solitude soon!

12:29 AM  
Blogger Duke said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BET!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you get some birthday cake? Did all the candles burn the pod down? I can say stuff like that cause i'm a lot older and meaner than you are. That's the best part of getting older. You can get mean. I think it's a law.

I still remember you and sten wishing me a happy birthday on your 24 hr podcast-a-thon. It was great!

Wishing you the best!!!

1:16 AM  
Blogger Lily said...

Happy Birthday, Betster!

I think my parents were always like that. There are just some things that get worse.

7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home