Sunday, March 02, 2008

Picture Sunday

Hello, end of weekenders. Well. Guess you didn't think you'd see me on a Sunday night, did you? I've missed more Picture Sundays lately than we've all had hot dinners, but I'm back and ready to give it a go. I guess this means I might finally be on the mend, and the flu did not win the battle.

I finally got a spurt of energy on Thursday night. I cleaned both the kitchen and the bathroom and caught up on my laundry. That made me feel human again, but oddly enough I celebrated this feat by not doing much on Friday.

Oh, I also put my coat rack together on Thursday. See, I've been wanting a coat rack for the Poderosa for some time. I have a rotating bullpen of jackets, I never know on what day I'm wearing what jacket, and my coat closet is in the living room of the Pod. I never enter or leave my house from the living room, so it's stupid for me to house jackets in there at night. So I end up draping them over kitchen chairs and the banister leading into the dennette. I was getting tired of it. I wanted a coat rack, and I wanted one now.

Or then. I ordered one online over a month ago. It was advertised as shipping in one to two days. When I got the shipping confirmation, it told me it would ship February 22d. I finally got it Thursday. I was almost out of the notion by then, I mean, Spring's just around the corner for cryin' out loud, but I put it together none the less and put it in its rightful place, by the dennette door.

























I tell you, folks, it's neverending excitement at the Poderosa.

I headed out to B'burg on Saturday for clarinet quartets - again - which turned out to be clarinet trios - again. It was fine though, Mr M, Lisa, and I played till Lisa's and my lips were mush, were called wusses by Mr M, and so we killed him and buried his body in the back yard.

Not really. We just quit playing.

Then it was to the DeepFatFriar's, who's getting settled in in his new apartment and invited us over for dinner. It was lamb and rice, asparagus, garlic bread, and a dessert I passed on, but some wine I didn't. In fact, I so didn't pass on it I got a little tiddly, which was fun because after dinner we all went out shopping. I was giggly and possibly obnoxious, but light bulbs, magazines, and bedding later (Mr M's the proud owner of a new bed), we dropped the Friar off and came back home. We watched half a movie and called it a night.

However.

However, before all that fun and frivolity began, I got my birthday present from Mr M. And how nice and generous was this, it was a Flip digital camcorder. So now I won't have to fret over whether or not to get one, because I have one! It's the cool back version that records 60 minutes and has a zoom.

























Now, this means two things to me. First of all, look out Hackensaw Boys. I'm so excited because one of the next times I see them is actually in B'burg, at a daytime outdoor street festival. If that's not a prime recording venue, I don't know what is.

The other thing it means to me is.... Well, some of you who've been around a long time will know. Remember The Comfy Chair? Not the one I sit in, but the one that's a website I haven't updated in over a year? Well, in the early, early days of The Comfy Chair, Mr M and I introduced The Comfy Chair Cinema, where we made little 30-second films that were dumb and goofy and completely endeared themselves to me. There was "Two Feet of Music," which was about 20 seconds of my feet conducting a Sousa march, and "I," which was about 15 seconds of a close-up of my eye, while Indian sitar music played in the background. We made "Driving Mr Peabody," with Sherman and Peabody in an old Barbie car (if I'm not mistaken, Ken made a cameo in that), and maybe one or two others. Ever since I saw the Flip camera and started wanting one, I've been thinking about how neat it would be to revive The Comfy Chair Cinema.

I'm thinking the first movie should star Sherman and my sister's yodeling pickle. Maybe a little recreation of "The Sound of Music." The pickle can be Julie Andrews. So we'll see what happens.

Thank you Mr M.

And now - could it be? Yes it is! A real-live recipe du jour. I've been away from the recipe for weeks now, so please, be kind. One just doesn't ease back into the recipe du jour, you know.

I've been thinking a lot about breakfast lately. I never eat breakfast, and I know it's the most important meal of the day and all. A couple of weeks ago I bought some cereal. Now, I've never been much of a cereal fan, but this was supposed to be good for you, and I figured it would be a quick way to get in a breakfast. When I was buying it, I realized I hadn't bought or eaten cereal in about four years. I've eaten two bowls in two weeks.

Now, if I had the time, I could do something better. Scramble an egg, and have some bacon. I like eggs and bacon. Who doesn't like eggs and bacon? You? Well, maybe you haven't tried eggs and bacon the recipe du jour way. Please, from the "Sweet Breakfasts" file in cardland, say hello to Bacon and Eggs.























Yep, spring is upon us, Easter is upon us, so what could be better for breakfast than some pieces of bacon alongside a couple of Cadbury Creme Eggs, sunny side up. This one's easy as pie (or eggs) to make. Take your eggs, break them apart, and put your bacon on the side. Yum, yum. Or not.

You know, even when I ate candy and liked sweets, I could never stomach a Cadbury Creme Egg. It is the epitome of the phrase "too much." And while I was taking the picture for this, even though I know M & Ms were the actual product, all I could think of was, "Thanks Eas' Bun'!" "Bawk Bawk!"

Happy week.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* Since I have no update per se, I'll give you a snippet of conversation between Mr M & I this afternoon over messenger. It begins with "15d," because that's our shorthand for, "I drove safely and arrived in one piece." Seems, oddly enough, I woke up this morning with a burn on my arm:
agnes says:
15d
Bruce says:
[applause]
agnes says:
THERE you are.
agnes says:
boy, am i mad at you. really REALLY mad at you
agnes says:
i know you must have a lot of pent-up frustration at me, with my being smarter and funnier and a better clarinet player and all. so i almost understand your socking me in the nose while i was asleep.
Bruce says:
That was a nose socker, not me.
agnes says:
but i noticed that sometime while i slept i seem to have gotten a BURN MARK on my arm. now, burning me while i sleep is just plain sadistic.
Bruce says:
That was Dave. [deepfatfriar]
agnes says:
well, if it wasn't you - and i'm not saying it wasn't - i'm guessing alice for the second suspect. she was very quiet last night.
Bruce says:
She isn't allowed to play with matches.
agnes says:
and i also waved the candlestick at her last night when she got on the table.
agnes says:
so? why would she follow the rules now?
Bruce says:
She listens to me.
agnes says:
ohhhh yeah
agnes says:
i've seen her 'listening' to you
agnes says:
i wouldn't be surprised if the two of you didn't get together and burn me
Bruce says:
I burn you every time I play the clarinet. Why should I need more?
* See, I let it end with him having the last dig. Who says I'm not nice?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Lily said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who could never stand a "creme"(pet peeve of mine -- I hate that faux spelling) egg. Bleh.

2:21 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Aw Betster - you've helped me see the light. I don't need a doggie, I need a sugar daddy.

1:07 PM  
Blogger stennie said...

I looooooooooooooooooooooooove Cadbury Creme Eggs. I know they look disgusting, but god help me, I would sell my soul for one. Which is fortunately not necessary since they are only a buck apiece.

But you missed a great opportunity! Cadbury Creme Eggs paired with Beggin' Strips!

3:20 PM  
Blogger Bet said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH!

A great idea, but I would have to have bought the Beggin' Strips, whereas I already had bacon. Frugality has become the watchword of the recipe du jour, and btw - where the hell do you get your Creme Eggs? I got those at the Walmart and they were only 50 cents apiece.

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home