Sunday, April 06, 2008

Picture Sunday

Hello, end of weekenders, and welcome to another round of Picture Sunday. It was a big weekend this weekend. Too bad I don't have more pictures of it.

It started yesterday when Mr M and I headed off to - wait, we didn't head off to anywhere. Because our very own Hackensaw Boys were playing right in B'burg. No long traveling, no overnight stays, just a quick jump across town and there we were.

They were playing on the campus of Virginia Tech, and I learned a couple of things very quickly after the Boys took the stage.

1. The Commonwealth Ballroom is an absolutely shitty place to hold a concert. Now, granted, the music was part of an entire festival going on there (it was International Week at Tech, which, tell me how the Hackensaws fit into that because I haven't figured it out yet), and the music was on a stage at one end of the ballroom while the booths and "International Market" were all set up on the other end of the room. But you know, I saw a concert in that same damn ballroom some 20 years ago, and remember commenting on the shitty sound. It hasn't changed. It was like seeing the Boys in a gymnasium. But you go where they are, and the whole shebang was supposed to be outside and got moved indoors because of the weather.

2. I have a lot to learn - possibly via a four-year film school course - about videotaping the Hackensaw Boys. Yes, I was so excited to have my Flip camera in tow, and by about the second song it became very apparent that a) I like to be too close to get all the boys in one shot, b) I like to dance too much to hold a camera steady, and c) well, I just want to enjoy the show. I did get a couple of songs done, and one while they were out on the floor, but I don't know that you'll ever see them. To put them on the Comfy Chair Cinema, I have to send it to YouTube, and I feel a little leery about doing that. Is it copyright infringement? Even though there are nearly 100 other Hackensaws videos there? I don't know, you tell me.

Anyway, the best part - and certainly most unexpected part - was that I had family galore at this shindig. After arriving and scoping out our first perch in front of the stage, my cousin Jacob found us. She was there with her husband, and she talked to us for a while before retreating to the side of the stage. She doesn't like to be in the hoeing down area.

Then, after the show was a few songs in, and some folks at the front had ambled off and Mr M got us primo real estate right in front of the stage, who should walk up and plop himself beside me but my Dear Nephew. He and a school friend made the trip and he sat with us the whole show, well, the whole show until I moved. He also endeared himself to me by wearing his smokin' bunny t-shirt.

After sitting in the floor for a while (at the front, you had to sit in the floor), Mr M finally urged me to go dance, and I did, got up and walked back a few feet to where the dancing was going on. And who should I spy in the audience, near the door, but my sister! My sister, bluegrass music hater, was at a Hackensaw Boys concert. Then I looked over and found her husband there too. I dont' know what possessed them, but I got my sister over to where I was, and we watched the rest of the show together.

Anyway, in lieu of a video, and because I need some pictures for Picture Sunday, here is a still from Saturday.




















Baby J! He plays bass! He plays guitar! He plays accordion! He plays harmonica! He has pinchable cheeks! And - he points! (And good Lord, I promise you that demon-seed-looking girl in the lower left-hand corner was just a regular girl.)

Then today it was the Blacksburg Community Band's spring concert. It came off well, though not necessarily because of me. I didn't play like I wanted to, and had the embarrassing experience of a solo when I didn't want one. The very last note of a movement of our most challenging piece, I squeaked. I also got very tired very early into things, and at some points found myself blowing more air out of my horn than into it. But no one died, at least not that I know of, and I got through all the pieces and can put that to rest till next year.

Afterwards the DeepFatFriar invited Mr M and I over for a lamb dinner, which rocked, and it was a good way to relax before starting the journey back home.

The only other photos I have are of Mr M's snobbish neighbors. This new family moved in a couple of months ago, and I just don't know what to make of them. When I arrive at his house, they're always at the fence staring at me. And I always speak, in their native tongue, no less, but they've yet to speak back. They just stand and stare. I thought you might like to see these rude next-door neighbors.




















Yes, every time they're there, I give them a hearty "moooooo!" and they just look at me like I'm insane. Snots.

However, one of them has a most interesting hairstyle.




















Reminds me of Ryan Seacrest.

Anyway, because of the busy weekend and the late hour I arrived home, there is no recipe du jour.

However, I would like to announce that there is a new movie at the Comfy Chair Cinema. I made it Friday night, and I think it's my best work yet. I'm giving you the link to the Cinema there, but I'm also giving you the YouTube link here, because when I view it from the Cinema page, it reloads over and over, thus pausing the video, and believe me, people, this isn't a video that needs to be paused. (I think it pauses because it's so long - I made a three minute movie, guys!)

Hope you like it.

And I guess that's it for this weekend. Happy week.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* Well, I see where I can upload a video right here from blogger, using their stuff. Let's try....

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks like peabody and sherman are getting some press elsewhere.

link

7:11 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Excellent find, River!

Betster, fun video! This song doesn't make me cringe in the slightest! Why did you skip over Baby J so? He's a fine specimen of a man.

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home