Sunday, May 25, 2008

Picture Sunday

Hello, end of weekenders, if you don't have tomorrow off, and one more blissful dayers if you do. Welcome to another round of Picture Sunday.

I'm off in an hour or so to Mr M's, so I'm posting early. I stayed local yesterday, and did my annual Buying of the Flowers. They were a little picked over by this time, apparently people have the space to buy their flowers in the rotten weather we've been having, then store them somewhere safe for a day of beautiful weather like we had Saturday.

I got my flowers - plus three bags of potting soil - to the podmobile only to find that, once again, the back hatch was stuck and wouldn't open. I think my podmobile has a brain and does this at the most inopportune times, then snickers behind my back. Anyway, there I was loading nine plant sets and three bags of soil into the passenger section of my car.

Got home, got them out, and decided first that my yard once again needed a mow, and so I had at it. I've been using the bagger, because I like the way it makes the yard look, but damn if it's not a lot more work. I mean, you detach a bag full of grass, turn it upside down over a trash bag, and wouldn't it logically follow that the grass would fall out into the bag? I mean, given the nature of gravity and all. Well, it doesn't! It just stays there in the bag, so you have to manually grab the grass and put it into the trash bag, all the while holding the bagger upside down, and, well, it's a giant pain in the ass.

But that done and the yard looking nice, I went to the flowers. I started by putting up the new fencing I bought for the flower bed, since last year's was all ratty and I threw it away last fall. Then I started with the pots on the steps leading up to my house.

And yes, how many times have you seen this picture? It happens every year about this time, I could probably go back in my files and get one from four years ago if I wanted, but I promise you this is indeed this years edition of the Baby Pot Flowers.




















Then I went to the flower bed, which is always a disadvantage, because - well, because on the pot flowers I get to sit on the steps most of the time. It's all bending and stooping at the flower bed, and I seem to have lost my little spade somewhere so I had to go at the ground with a sturdy plastic cup. (And that's why you'll never see me on "The Victory Garden.") But after stooping and digging and weeding and almost falling over once - which believe me, isn't a good thing as I live right on the main road into town, and in a town this small, had I fallen over in my yard it would have been all over town in about 10 minutes - I had Baby Bed Flowers.




















As always, Sherman was keen to help, and in a show of real Poderosa togetherness, Mr Peabody got into the act as well.




















In fact, Mr Peabody did most of the hard labor with the hoe, and Sherman played the clarinet, because he said that would make the flowers grow better. And you know, Sherman knows his plants, so I believe him.




















There's Mr Peabody giving it a go in the flower bed.

And now it's time for a very special recipe du jour.

Since tomorrow is Memorial Day, I thought it would only be fitting if I honored our men and women in uniform with tonight's recipe. Sure, most people serve up those cakes made to look like American Flags, or red, white, and blue Jell-O on such an occasion, but not me. Because I care about you, my blogees. So from the "Holiday Snacks" file at cardland, would you please give a patriotic welcome to "Memoreos."




















It's easy to make Memoreos for the loved ones at your home. All you need is a bag of Oreos, some army men, and then cut loose.

Because of holiday travel, there will be no acro tomorrow night. However! Be sure to stop by Betland tomorrow anyway, because there just may be a Comfy Chair Cinema movie, providing all goes well at Mr M's tonight.

Happy week.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* By the way, how tired was I after mowing and planting flowers yesterday? Pretty damn tired.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr Peabody is adorable.

Arlene,
Lakewood flowers

1:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home