Sunday, June 22, 2008

Picture Sunday

Hello, end of weekenders, and welcome to yet another round of Picture Sunday.

It was a working weekend. For the most part.

Got home Friday after work, decided to take advantage of my dad's brand new hedge trimmers, and girded my loins for the summer job I hate the most, trimming the hedges. I do it once a year. I cuss a lot. In the past, I've gone at it with manual hedge trimmers, which is good for the artistic but bad for the weenie-armed. Since I decided I'm more weenie-armed than artistic, I asked Paw if I could borrow his new trimmers, he said of course, and so I went at it.

The verdict? Way easier. Way quicker. Still not fun. And very tempting to just take a huge swath through those bastards and cut them to the twigs. But I held back.

And in the end, I think I did a pretty good job. I hope you think so, too, and if you don't, just smile and compliment me anyway.




















Saturday it was to B'burg where the work was of a different type. Clarinet practice. I tried to arrive a little early so Mr M and I could work on the piece we're playing in his recital. Did I mention he's doing another recital? July 10th. He's been kind enough to ask me to be a part of it again, but practice time has been scarce. And though he's very confident about his solo pieces, I'm not at all sure about ours, and I don't want to be the blight on his otherwise perfect performance. So we worked, I whined, yes, I was again Helen Keller to his Annie Sullivan, and I got a little bit more comfortable with it than I had been.

But we took time out for dinner and a movie, which was nice, then I headed back home.

Today it was back to The Yard. (Geez, I'm becoming a regular Linda Lawncare. or Yolanda Yardwork.) Mowing in the heat of the day, followed by weedeating and working with my "we're dead but pretending to hang on" flowers. The humidity was oppressive, but I got through it.

Just in time for a massive hail storm. Hail the size of canned hams!




















OK, maybe golf balls, but it was still something else. And because there can never be enough pictures of the same patch of my yard you've seen a million times....




















And you know what they say. Well, they say that when you're given lemons, you make lemonade. I say when you're given hail, you turn it into the recipe du jour. From the "Enjoy Nature's Wrath" file at cardland, will you please say hello to Hail in a Glass.






















Now, it's a little difficult to make this dish if it hasn't recently hailed in your area, but if it has, you've got it made. Go out in the yard (in your bathrobe), scoop up some hail stones, put them in a glass, and voila - a really lame recipe du jour.

Since I've got a little something else for the Olympic Update, I'll tell you right here that there is a new movie up at the Comfy Chair Cinema. If you like the outdoors, if you like redheaded boys, if you like certain singing actors, or if you just like me, you might want to head over there for. Follow the link on the left in the Blogroll, or just click right here.

Happy week.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* You know, one thing about having a digital video camera at hand is that you can catch events as they're happening. Like, oh, say, hail storms.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Kellie said...

Wow - hope I can't make any Hail in a Glass soon! Nice video - talk about capturing the moment!!

Your bushes are lovely - Way to keep up with that yardwork, Yolanda! We mowed our grass yesterday - what's left of it anyway. These cute rabbits that we have in our backyard are killing our grass.

Holy Moley - I can't believe that was Alan F. Arkin singing about peas. What a lovely show it was! That Sherman is quite handy in a garden!!

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Did the podmobile survive? I would have gone for hailtinis myself......

dff

12:18 PM  
Blogger Bet said...

Awww, man, Friar - what a missed opportunity. All day my recipe had been Peatinis, using the peas from the movie. Why hailtinis didn't occur to me, I've no idea.

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would you believe there were still piles of hail like snowbanks on N. Main in B'burg this morning? Had I read your blog earlier, I could have had a Monday morning hailtini!

1:45 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

The bushes look gorgeous. Okay, maybe that didn't come out right...

What marvelous shrubbery!

8:09 PM  
Blogger bitterspice said...

Nice work with the hedges. Maybe pictures of the lawn should be another regular feature. Or you can make one of those YouTube videos of the lawn every single day for a year.

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home