Sunday, August 10, 2008

Picture Sunday

Hello, end of weekenders, and welcome to another round of Picture Sunday.

Not many pictures, not much to tell. In fact, I'm in a bit of a hurry here, because my oven racks are cleaning. Well, they're cleaning because I'm cleaning them, proving once again that nothing in my life is easy.

OK, instead of Friday this time around let's start on Thursday. I finally got to mow my lawn after about 10 straight days of rain here. Even though the sun was out it had rained earlier, and the ground was soaked. Yes the ground was soaked, the grass was high, and I knew it was going to be a pain in the ass but I soldiered on, and - well, it was a pain in the ass. And other areas as well.

I started in the front yard, emptying my mower bag more often than usual because of the wetness of the grass, but it didn't make much difference. The grass would get stuck in the bag and I'd have to heave and tug and jump up and down, and wet grass was getting stuck to the blades and they were throwing grass all over the yard anyway. I had to sweep the driveway and my front walk of thrown grass before starting on other areas of the lawn, and I was becoming of a very foul demeanor.

I mowed the left side of the yard, then headed around to the right side so I could finish up in the back, my least favorite mowing area. Trudging along the right side, pushing, lugging, sliding, I just started to cuss. Probably aloud, I was thinking it was just in my head, but I had my iPod plugged in so I'm not sure.

"Everybody I know has everything they want and I have nothing! I don't have someone to mow my yard or fix my car, I don't have a big house, I don't get to take fun vacations!" I was an embarrassing volcano of self pity.

Then I headed into the back yard, where I was stung by a wasp. Twice.

I'm assuming it was a wasp. It left no stinger and got me twice. And it hurt like a fucking gun shot. So I went inside, put some baking soda on it, stood at the sink, and cried like a woman on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

After crying a while I realized my yard wasn't finished, so I went back out and finished it.

It hurt all night that night, and has itched every day since.

I hit the yard again after work Friday. (That was after going to Mom's and being the Pill Nazi. She's doing well, by the way.) It was a little drier, I was in a better mood, and I trimmed all the weeds as well as pulling a multitude of weeds from my flower garden, making it look all nice and not abandoned, as it had earlier in the week.

I went to B'burg yesterday, Mr M, DeepFatFriar, and I had a nice dinner, then today Mr M and I spent most of the day working on the Comfy Chair Cinema movie.

Oh, and there was a sidelight in yesterday. I did a bit of car shopping.

I figure it's just like that scene in "Master and Commander." If the crew think another crew member is jinxed, it doesn't matter if he is or not. He is. So whether my car is jinxed or not, it is because I think it is.

I don't know if I can afford a new car. I don't really care. Looking neither depressed nor encouraged me. It was nice to be outside on a sunny day, though.

I looked at 2009 Foresters, nice because they've changed the body style, but I actually like the old body style better.


















I like the Impreza Outback Sports, but hell, they're more expensive than Foresters.




















What I really need to find is a new 2008 model. Old body style, still new car. I haven't found one yet.

Today, because of the movie-making I got home very late, so it was just catching up with stuff around the house and the recipe du jour.

Now, about the recipe. I have to tell the story. Just out of nowhere, a couple of weeks ago I blurted out to Stennie pre-Hucklebug podcast the phrase "Spaghettisburg Address." I knew it had to be a recipe, but it was such a good phrase I didn't know what to do with it. I held it last week and thought.

I thought about making a spaghetti house, but that didn't really say "address." This weekend I took it to the man of thought, DeepFatFriar, and he suggested I go literal. And so I did. From the "Meaningful Pasta" file at cardland, please say hello to The Spaghettisburg Address.





















No secret here. All you need for this one is some spaghetti. Spell out as much of the address as you care to, or care to remember, and give your family a history lesson along with dinner.

Please, I beseech you to go over to the Comfy Chair Cinema. A double feature! Not only our regular movie, "The Script Ohio," but an outtake reel for your enjoyment. Follow the link right here.

Happy week.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* Could you believe it? The Olympics are here! My Olympic Update now has some validity to it!
* Opening ceremonies: I don't care if you would have offered me a chance to light the Olympic torch and $100,000 cash, I would have passed. They lifted a guy about seven stories in the air by wire, then one of the wires shifted, turning him sideways, and he ran the circumference of the stadium midair. When that one wire shifted and he turned sideways, I nearly screamed. "My God! He's gonna fall!" Then there he was with those cables and a lit torch. What if he would have burned through his support?
* Opening ceremonies, basketball, swimming: Seeing George Bush at the games just made me want to spit. From looking at his watch all through the ceremonies to waving at athletes during the events. "Hi kids! I'm a rootin' for ya! I'm screwin' up your country and the world, but I'm here a rootin' for ya!" Bastard.
* Again head to the Cinema, if you dare!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Duke said...

What got me was Bush couldn't be bothered to even look decent. He pulled off his coat, yanked around on his clothes, and was slouching down like a damn street wino. I don't give a shit if it's 120 degress, the bastard is the leader of our Country. He should look like a human at least.10 billion people saw our president pointing and guffawing like a moron. I was ashamed of him.

My wife has a Subie Impreza sport. She consistenly gets 32 mpg on the highway which isn't bad for a 4 wheel drive car. All Subies are reliable and fun to drive. You could do a lot worse.

Poor Bet, the world was against you that day...including the waspers. I'll give you a couple of pats on the head *pat, pat*

12:59 AM  
Blogger stennie said...

Why would you buy another Suburu after all the problems you've had with Podmobile 2? I thought you were going to check out the new Honda CRV. I bet it gets better mileage.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Duke said...

Subarus have excellent reliability ratings and sit in the top 3 or 4 brands at Consumer Reports. I've had one for 4years without a single issue but if you own one that's giving you serious problems (not something minor like a broken hatch lock because things like that can happen to any car) I wouldn't buy another one either. Honda or Toyoda are both reliable and excellent cars in my experience. I've had both.

Car companies have one shot with me. If I get a bad one I'll never buy another. A Honda would be an excellent choice in my humble opinion. I've never known anyone who regretted buying one, including me.

6:38 PM  
Blogger Bet said...

They're more expensive!

10:44 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

Don't get another Subaru. I have another friend who always got a turkey. She now drives a little convertible in protest.

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home