Sunday, August 17, 2008

Picture Sunday

Hello, end of weekenders, and welcome to another round of Picture Sunday.

Not much to report. I stayed home this weekend, hung out, barely left my house, had a nice Friday Chill Night, and spent a lot of the weekend making this week's Comfy Chair Cinema offering. But more on that later.

Of course, as a result I have no pictures, and I didn't really have a recipe du jour. However, this week's Picture Sunday has ended up being nothing but recipes du jour!

See, it all began this way.

Some weeks ago I was at my mom's, aka Granny's, and had my camera. She has a pie holder that's, well, it's a glass pie. You put your pie in a pie, which has for some reason always made me giggle, and I thought I'd take a picture of that glass pie, then when I was stuck for a recipe du jour I could pull it out as a last resort.

Thing is, lighting was bad, my hands weren't steady, and the picture was horrible. I made a card of it anyway.





















And so came tonight, that night I was stuck for a recipe du jour, and I pulled out that picture. I also pulled out the original and decided to have some fun with it. So welcome to Picture Sunday - The Paint Shop Pro Edition.

Remember the opening of the old sitcom "Family Affair?" Bouncy music (dah dah dah DAH dahdah dahdah dah) and a kaleidoscope visual. Well, from the "Looks Like the Opening of 'Family Affair'" file at cardland, it's Kaleidoscope Pie.
























The next one's a little pointilistic, an art form I was always fond of. It also looks rather etched, so from the "It's Sketchy" file at cardland, would you please say hello to Etchy Pie.

























Oh, my - where's the pie? Someone put it in the shower! From the "Outside Looking In" file in at cardland, here's Pie in the Shower.

























And here's my personal favorite. I've heard tell it's was the favorite of the late Timothy Leary. I'm not sure of the ingredients, but from the "It's A Trip" file at cardland, man, it's the Groovy Pie.
























So there you go. More recipe cards than you can shake a stick at, and I didn't even have to cook.

I'm really happy with this week's Comfy Chair Cinema movie, and I ask you all to go here and have a look at it. It's called "2001 (Sort Of)," and a lot of work went into it. It has stop motion photography, location shooting, homemade sets, slow motion, fade-ins and fade-outs, and some of fine, fine acting.

Happy week.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* My oh my, the Olympics I've watched. It's all becoming a blur by now.
* The guy who won the men's 100 meters was so fast, he quit fucking running 3/4 of the way through and still smoked everyone. Speaking of smoking, he was from Jamaica.
* I love watching badminton. It reminds me of my childhood playing badminton, only the shuttlecock wasn't batted at me at 100 mph. The girl who won looked like smokin' Dr Javier. (Again, speaking of smoking.)
* If you haven't seen it, this was one of the more interesting moments of the games. It involves an injury, though, so if you're squeamish, I wouldn't head that way. (At least they sent someone to cover him up.)
* How many beach volleyball games can there be? I like the scoring system, but dammit all to hell, it's all they have.
* My absolute favorite moment of the games so far: A French weightlifter had the silver medal sewed up, but could win the gold if he attempted a 430-lb lift. He went to the barbell, rubbed his hands, leaned over it, grabbed the bar, made a face, waved his hand "nahhhh," and walked off. That's the most French thing I believe I've ever seen.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home