Sunday, February 15, 2009

Picture Sunday

Hello, end of weekenders, and welcome to another round of Picture Sunday.

As you know, my mom, aka Granny, has been in the hospital since Monday. It was determined she needed gall bladder surgery. That happened Friday, and she came through it very well, much better than I expected. She was moved out of intensive care last night, and when I visited today I visited a real room.

Mr M came down yesterday and we went to visit Granny. As we were walking in, he noticed a couple of things about our hospital here in town, one that I had also noticed, and one that had completely escaped me.

The first one was this sticker on the door leading into the side of the hospital. I guess only in this area does this need to be posted as information to the public.




















So remember, folks, if you go visit my mom before she gets out of stir, leave your gun in the car.

The thing I hadn't noticed before was a closed door in the hallway inside the hospital.




















Well, at least they're honest about it. Maybe I need a sign like that on the front door of the Poderosa.

Next we have a picture of Huckleberry Hound, who's been keeping Granny company in the hospital. As you know, Huck is the official hospital companion, going to stay with anyone in our family unlucky enough to end up there.

I have to tell you a story first. On Friday after the surgery, when we got the word that Granny was back in her little area in intensive care, we went in to see her. She's just been moved back. I said hello, she was already pretty alert, then I looked around for Huckie. He was on a nightstand in the corner of the room, and he was laying on his side with his front to the wall.

I went to pick him up and sit him upright, and I noticed that someone had put a bandage on his stomach which was being held in place with a band-aid. I started laughing, and Mom told me one of the nurses had done it. The nurse said if Granny had to have surgery and a bandage, so did Huckleberry.

Today when I went to see her, Huckie was in the new room. I'd brought my camera along and hoped to get a picture of this, but alas, when they took Granny's bandage off, they also took off Huck's.

So instead, here he is enjoying a window view.




















And now how about a recipe?

Tonight's recipe du jour is especially vile. It sounds vile and it looks vile.

Ever wonder where all the good tongue recipes are? I know I do. And unfortunately, we'll all have to keep wondering, because this recipe isn't going to bring us any answers. From the "casseroles" file in cardland, please say a wary hello to Scalloped Potatoes and Tongue.




















Now, it's enough that this recipe contains tongue. And it's more than enough that it looks like Spam, which, believe me, I'd much rather eat in a casserole than tongue. But the kicker here is that even the scalloped potatoes don't look good! How can you screw up scalloped potatoes? Look at all that milk! Euggh. Look at the uneven cheese! Ick! And, well, look at the tongue. Again. Blecch.

Poor kids of the 70s. "Tommy, can I eat with yall tonight? It's Tongue Night at our house."

Happy week.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* Missed two Hackensaw concerts this weekend. Hoping to make up for it next weekend.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Duke said...

Glad to hear granny is doing well. Great news!

My friend had surgery last year and when he went to the bathroom the nurse stole his Ipod. The next day his wife went for some coffee while he was sleeping and someone opened her purse and stole her money and cell phone. He lives in S.C. although I'm not sure it's any better elsewhere.

Sounds to me like you need a gun in the hospital.

12:45 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Betster - I'm glad that Granny is on the mend! Huckie is taking good care of her for sure.

1:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home