Sunday, March 08, 2009

Picture Sunday

Hello. Still sick, believe it or not. Therefore, keeping this short and sweet.

Last week's Picture Sunday was all about my musical career and all the albums my bands have released through the years (see below. well, slightly below.) At the end of that blog, I invited everyone to send me pictures of their bands' albums. When I did that, I had no idea how much I needed takers to my invitations for there to be a Picture Sunday tonight.

And you came through.

Lily sent the information to me, so I put her album together for me.





















Lovely. I remember the Currants. I think I saw them once opening for Madness.

Then Mike sent me his band's history. It is below.

























First band: Nisei.
Our release: What Ships Are Built For.
Genre: avant-garde prog
Major influences: Tuxedomoon, the Residents, Cabaret Voltaire, James Joyce's
Finnegan's Wake.

























Then I joined Bell's Vireo.
Our release: I Consider That Cooking.
Genre: post-punk.
Major influences: PiL, Wire, the Minutemen, Timothy Carey movies.


























After that, I was in Headfirst Productions.
Our album: Where The History Comes From. (we were Eddie fans)
Genre: indie/sunshine pop
Major influences: Harpers Bizarre, the Sopwith Camel, Brian Wilson, the Slinky
jingle.

























Finally, I joined Bookend.
Our as-yet unreleased album: Four People Died.
Genre: hard folk.
Major influences: M. Ward, Giant Sand, Captain Beefheart, Joaquin Phoenix's new
persona.


I went to see Headfirst Productions once, and they actually did a cover of the Slinky jingle. The crowd went wild.

Thanks to the both of you for basically doing my blog for me. I needed it.

Happy week.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* And a shout-out to Duke, who gave us a pictureless history of his musical career. I remember reading about this amazing electric washboard player in Rolling Stone back in the late 60s. Little did I know I'd actually know him one day.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Duke said...

I just emailed you the cover from my debut album. It sold exceptionally well considering the cutting machine got accidently adjusted to record at 133 RPM instead of the normal 33 for an LP.

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home