Sunday, May 24, 2009

Picture Sunday

Hello, end of weekenders, and congratulations, those of you lucky enough to have one more day to relax. Welcome to another round of Picture Sunday.

You know, it all started with a vacation gone awry.

Last Sunday, Mr M decided he wanted to get away on his own. He packed his tent and camping gear and set out for the wilds of Ohio, with the purpose of sitting in the woods, walking in the woods, taking pictures in the woods, sleeping in the woods, and breathing and smoking his pipe in the woods. The plans were amended slightly at first, when Sherman expressed an interest in going and Mr M couldn't say no.

The plans were amended not-so-slightly, though, when it became so cold in the wilds of Ohio Mr M had to head back south after only two days.

But that's just the background of this story.

When Mr M and Sherman got back, they boinged me on messenger. Mr M announced Sherman had something to tell me, something he was worried about, for he was sure I'd hit the roof. I braced myself and told Mr M to put the boy on the horn.

Sherman came online and told me that other than the cold, he'd had a great time. He'd also made a friend. Oh? I asked. Yes, and this friend was so nice, and Sherman got to telling him about the Poderosa, and fish stick night, and tag, and the other cartoon characters, and one thing led to another, and he'd invited this new friend to come live with us.

Now.

I've written many times about our happy commune here at the Pod, but that it's getting awfully crowded, what with Gossamer eating my magazines and Mr Peanut recovering from embarrassing alcoholism and all, and I have to say I was reticent. Oh, yes! I was reticent. But then Sherman sent along a picture of himself and his new buddy.


















Seems while he and Mr M were hiking in the woods they came upon a lost and discombobulated Chilly Willy. He wasn't sure where he was heading, but he had no idea how to get there, and, well, I keep my air conditioning on all the time, and he is such a cute little guy, I let Sherman off the hook and told him to bring his new friend on home.

And so now there's yet one more refugee cartoon character who's made his home with me at the Poderosa. Chilly Willy's only five, but very quiet and well-behaved so far, he loves fish and pancakes, and his little feet make an adorable sound on the kitchen floor. Everyone seems to get along with him, Good Luck Baby Lily calls him Big Bird for some reason, and Gossamer hasn't tried to eat him yet. Mr Peabody made an educational evaluation and pronounced him ready for first grade this fall. And he played in the bathtub this afternoon.























Sherman's in his lederhosen because he played a Sauerkraut Band gig with me yesterday in North Carolina. Chilly went along, but it was quite hot, so when we got home he took a nap, in a suitable place.





















Oh, the fun we have.

Tonight's recipe du jour is a first. Yes, a first - it's a repeat. I normally wouldn't do such a thing, but I got to thinking. I wanted to have a holiday-themed recipe, then decided I could not improve upon last year's Memorial Day du jour. So I thought, why not? Maybe I can start a tradition. Bring back old favorites on holidays. And so I give to you, get a hankie ready, the sentimental Memoreos.




















Yes, who could forget the brave soldiers making the world safe for us all with the help of chocolate cookies with white stuff in the middle (thank you, Bob and Ray). It's a gripping scene and a good way to say "thank you" to those who serve. May you all come home soon and have cookies.

Happy week.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* Chilly Willy told Mr M that the biggest chain of department store at the North Pole is Walrusmart.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Marla Bronstein said...

As much as Stennie loves Chilly Willy (for obvious reasons) make sure you don't crack under the pressure of her begging you to let him get on a plane to California...It's much too warm there!! (Although we did have an evening frost here this week...I'm just sayin'...)

1:12 PM  
Blogger stennie said...

Memoreos! Taste the delicious carnage!

12:33 AM  
Blogger Quantum Mechanic said...

Sweet post, Bet! This is the stuff that keep me coming back!

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home