Sunday, November 08, 2009

Picture Sunday

Hello, end of weekenders, and welcome to another edition of Picture Sunday.

It's been a bit of a busy week here in Betland, as you may have noticed by the distinct lack of blogs. Yet again.

The good news is that my mom (Granny) got out of stir (the hospital) on Monday. She wasn't released to come home, however. She was sent to a rehab facility where they're working her quite hard. This is a good thing. She's getting around better, seems to be of better spirits, and even went outside a while today to sit in the sun. I'm not sure of a release date, but she's come through a long patch and seems to finally be on the mend.

Milo has two weeks left at the Hi D Ho. His teacher Miss Rosie sprang some news on us this past week, and that news is that for Graduation Night on the 17th, we are to teach our doggies a trick they must perform for the class. Now, I'm making an assumption here that there will be a Graduation Night for us, I'm half-expecting the call the night before telling me there's no need for us to show up.

So Milo and I have been working on a few things. I've taught him to shake hands, so there's a trick right there, but it's a little boring for a dog who needs a dynamic finish at the Hi D Ho. My dream would be for me to teach him how a gentleman greets people - the men? [shake hands] the ladies? [give me a peck on each cheek] The kissing thing isn't working, and Stennie suggested we try a bow for the ladies, so I might do a little research to see how hard that would be.

Then there was the travelling back and forth getting Dad to the rehab center and back, making sure he has what he needs, and my sister and I are trying to keep him in real food so he won't have to keep eating out of boxes. My contribution this week was a nice pot of soup, and I surprised him with a pumpkin pie.

Mr M came down on Saturday for clarinet duets and TV and movies. I can't even remember the last time we played clarinet duets, certainly before Oktoberfest, and that was some seven weeks.

So, there you go, that was my week.

Now as for Picture Sunday, I thought I'd try something a little different.

See, way back when, it was about a month ago, when Mr M and I took our trip up to the wilds of Ohio so he could go back to Bowling Green and I could see the Giant Rubber Stamp, I kept a few notes of blog ideas. And on the back page of that, I kept a running list of signs I saw along the way that made me giggle.

Of course I couldn't have my camera ready to take pictures of those signs, so I thought maybe I'd try to give you my take on the visuals. No, they're not the signs ver batim, but they're a pretty good reproduction. And so welcome to Picture Sunday - The "Sign, Sign, Everywhere A Sign" Edition.

It all started with this little campaign sign in someone's front yard. I don't know about you, but I'm not sure this is the greatest name for someone running for office.






















Yes, vote for me. I'm a Dick, and I'm Covert.

Then I saw this on a marquee at a convenience store. Now, I know we were in Hocking County, Ohio, but this was just a little disconcerting.
























Remind me not to take a tour of their schools.

Along the interstate I saw a lovely billboard for a local hospital. I find it odd that hospitals advertise anyway, but this one, as ads go, was enjoyable.
























I guess if it's your gallbladder, your brain, or your ingrown toenail, you need to look elsewhere.

Now, the next one made me giggle the entire trip. I'm sure we were supposed to just assume, driving along at 65 mph, that an EKG across a sign meant "heart." However....


















And all I could think of was, "You know, they're absolutely right. Abortion certainly does stop a beating. Some four or so years down the road."

We saw this sign on the highway in Columbus.

























Certainly nice of them to volunteer, but imagine the jeers and trash hurled their way, known atheists right there out in the open in the Great Midwest.

And finally, this billboard was right next to a large plant close to Bowling Green.


















Yes, ladies and gentlemen, our safety comes first. If you die, we don't give a damn.

And so there you have it.

Happy week.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* Oh, "Mad Men," how am I going to live without you till you decide to have another new season?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Duke said...

Loved your signs!

12:41 AM  
Anonymous Kellie said...

These are hilarious!! So glad that Granny is out of the hospital and responding well to rehab.

I hope we end up with a video of the Milo graduation trick!!

3:55 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Just catching up with everything now, and I've been sorry to learn that Granny has been sick again. I'm glad she's going to rehab now, and I hope adding this little bit of care will keep her out of the hospital in the future!

I agree with Kellie - I hope we get a video of the Milo gradation trick!

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home