Friday, February 12, 2010

This Way and That

Hello, there. Bet you didn't expect to see me on a Friday, did you? I didn't either, to be honest, but I had an experience today that sent me to the old blogging board for a story.

See, I finally broke down and went to the doctor today. As you know, I've had The Crud since Christmas Day. It came on with a flourish, and I was hoping it would leave the same way, but that wasn't the case. Instead it limped slowly away, I walked around fortified with 10 or 15% Crud, then it started taking me over again. I cough, I wheeze, and then I began to sneeze as well, and finally gave in.

And so it was off to good old Smokin' Dr Javier, to the not-as-nice examining room #2, the one with the picture called "The Doctor" that I've blogged about before. A doctor (played for this painting by US Grant) sitting vigil over a sick little girl while her parents (father played by John Cusack for this painting) look on.

I went there predicting four eye-rolls from SDJ. He always rolls his eyes at me at some point during a visit, and I hadn't been there in a while, so I figured I could say all kinds of things that would wind him up. Turns out I only said one, which was that early on in The Crud I took some spare antibiotics that were laying around after I stopped taking them this summer when I almost cut off the tip of my finger with the electric hedge clippers.

So I way overestimated the eye-rolls, but I got something better, something worth a good three eye-rolls in the SDJ world. One listen to my chest and he exclaimed, "Jesus H Christ!"

He then dispatched me for a blood count and chest x-ray forthwith, but not without loading me up with about $150 worth of free antibiotics. The ones he wanted me on were apparently the Super Duper For People About To Leave This World kind, and when he found out I didn't have a prescription card he went off looking for samples. Came back with a 10-day supply, and that is one of the reasons I like Smokin' Dr Javier.

He sent me to a place I'd not been to before for the bloodletting, and a place I'd been to a few times for the x-ray. And in that little round of traveling, I discovered something. That if you run a business or provide a service, there is an absolutely perfect way to do things, and an absolutely perfect way to bollocks every thing up.

I pulled into the little medical center for the blood test first. Up close it looked like a seedy hotel. A row of dark brown metal doors leading into dark offices with little window space. I pushed open my door, and saw behind it a bright clean office. It was empty.

The lady behind the window took my paperwork, said, "Yes, come right back this way." I took off my coat, sat down, got poked, put on my coat, and left. I couldn't have been in there more than four minutes. She was cheery, made conversation while she was sticking me, and wished me well as I walked out the door.

"Well, this might not be as bad as I thought," I said aloud backing the podmobile2 out of the parking lot. Then I headed to the x-ray place.

I walked in and there were about four other people in the large waiting room. People in lab coats were milling around. I went to the window, signed in, and waited. I got called back to the window, where I handed the woman my paperwork.

"You're here for a chest x-ray?" she asked with a snurled-up nose. (I came to find that this was her constant expression, nose rolled up like a window shade.) And though I wanted to say, "Is that what the paper says, lady?" I didn't, because I'm nice, I just said, "Yes."

She sighed and snurled a bit more. "Well, they have several people ahead of you, you're looking at a wait of an hour or an hour and a half." I stood there. I mean, what was I supposed to do? Say, "OK, I didn't want this anyway" and leave? I asked her what time it was for lack of anything better to say.

She asked me if I had any other places to go and then come back in that 90 minutes, and I started toying with the idea of going back to work for a half-hour or so, and was smart or stupid enough to ask, "So if I leave and come back I won't lose my place in line?"

She looked at me as if to say, "God, you idiot," then said, "Oh, yes, you'll lose your place in line."

I really haven't been feeling good lately and the look I gave her almost unsnurled her nose, and I said, "Well, then I have to wait, don't I?" And I went and sat down.

I'd brought along a Games Magazine for such an occasion, and started in on it. It wasn't 20 minutes before they called me back, and I just started to seethe. That woman was trying to get rid of me! She was trying to discourage me from using my God-given right to get an x-ray. I kept thinking it was around lunchtime, and she was probably given the job of Cleaner, the person to weed out people so everyone could get a timely lunch hour.

Anyway, I got my x-ray and got back to work.

But it bugs me when people act like it's such a chore to do their damn jobs.

Oh, and by the way, while being checked in, Ms Nose mentioned it was almost a year since I'd been there for my last x-ray. March 9, 2009.

And I just didn't have the heart to yell, "Yes, March 9, 2009. Know when I got the bill for that x-ray? February 10, 2010!" But I wanted to.

Apparently the billing department all sits around with snurled-up noses too.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* Hey - we actually have some Olympics! Opening ceremonies tonight, after the very sad news that a luger lost his life on a training run today. That's a very bad way to begin an Olympics. RIP, Mr Luge Person.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Lily said...

I hate those places too. Were you sitting around in a little paper gown that doesn't close right while you were waiting? I had to do that a lot when I was pregnant. It's like Disneyworld -- they have you go through a whole lot of steps and events so that they think you won't realize you waited half an hour to get on Space Mountain. Not true, you always realize you waited half an hour, and it sucks worse if you're sitting in a too-small paper gown.

Feel better!

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home