Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Rock-a-Bye, Baby

Sometimes I write blogs I don't really want to write. And this generally happens because I let out some bit of information about me I'd just as soon you not know. I do it anyway, because I guess a blog is just as much for embarrassing admissions as reports of good news and pictures of the Hackensaw Boys.

Tonight's story comes from three places. Yes, three roads that converge right in the middle of Hinky Boulevard.

And I knew about this, knew it for a while, but only last night, when I was tired and exasperated and in a discussion with Mr M, did I just come out and admit it for the first time.

But let's get back to the roads.

The first road is Insomnia Street. I've told you all about this many times, how I hit a certain age a few years ago and sleep ceased to be a normal part of my life. I either go to bed and lie awake, eyes as wide open as that time Sylvester ate Tweety Bird, or I fall off to sleep for about an hour, wake back up, then proceed to toss and turn the rest of the night.

The second road is Anxiety Avenue. See, for a great deal of my youth, I suffered from anxiety attacks. And when I say anxiety attacks, I mean the kind that landed me in the emergency room on a regular basis. I didn't really know what they were at first, then I realized it, but it didn't stop them. They continued for a long time. Then, one day, and I swear, I don't even know how it happened, I learned to control them. I saw them coming, greeted them with a lot of conversation, and they turned around and went back to whence they came. Then they got a little pissed off at me and decided they just wouldn't come around at all. The sad thing is that recently they've missed me, and last year decided to pay me a surprise visit. And I seem to have forgotten now what I said to them to piss them off.

And the third road is This Part Isn't So Easy Lane. People who know me know this, I've told them, but I'm not sure I've ever mentioned it here. See, when I get particularly depressed, which has happened on and off in my years of living, I avoid getting in bed. I have always done this, from teen years on. I might sleep on the bed, on top of the covers, or sleep on the couch, or after buying the Poderosa, sleep in the Comfy Chair. Or I might just stay up all night. It's just something I've always done, I know it's weird, but sometimes I'm weird and that's the way it is.

When I landed in the emergency room last year after my anxiety attacks first decided to start visiting again, and I got $3000 worth of uninsured care, a pat on the head, an announcement that my liver was fabulous, and some advice to get professional help, I figured the cause of it all was my mom's being so sick all year. The worry, the travel, the frustration. Only Mom's better now, well, to a point, and the little anxiety shits are still hanging around. In fact, I think my biggest point of anxiety at the moment is that I can't recapture that tenacity that sent them away the first time.

I had another one Monday morning. I woke up around 5:45 sweating, heart beating out of my chest, hands numb, dizzy. "Oh, shit," I said, "Here it comes. Nothing's wrong. It's just anxiety. I'm fine. Really. I'm not kidding! I'm fucking fine!" But I laid there like a beached whale till it was time to get up, and it didn't really start to subside till I'd been at work for a couple of hours.

And so last night it was getting quite late and I was still up, and that's when the conversation with Mr M took place. He told me it was very late and I should be in bed, and I told him, as I tell him many times, how much I despise going to bed. He always finds this incredulous, how such a normal part of life could rile me so.

And so I started explaining how it wasn't normal for me at all, how going to bed when sleep was not one's friend was rather abnormal, and that's when the admission came out.

Now, I know I'm a mature woman, old enough and bright enough to drive a car, write checks, buy liquor and everything, but here it is. My admission? I'm actually afraid to go to bed.

I used to joke about it. I'm a night person. I just don't want to miss anything. Blah de blah. And blah.

I'm afraid to go to bed.

Well, if you thought Mr M was incredulous before, and you should, I just told you above, you should have been around for that little nugget of confession.

But Mr M knows all my ugliest secrets, so I just let it out. It's embarrassing, to be sure. And the thing is, I wish I could understand it. Because really, it's happening to me, and I don't think I understand it any more than Mr M did.

And here's the thing. When I go visit Mr M at Poderosa East, seems like all I do is sleep. Like this weekend. I fell asleep in the chair and had to be woken up for dinner. I nodded twice during the movie we watched - and really, who could sleep during a second viewing of "Robinson Crusoe on Mars?" - and had to be prodded by Mr M. Then I slept all night, got up early, took Milo outside, got on the couch, and slept some more.

When Mr M comes to my house, we'll play clarinets a while, then watch TV a while, where I always fall fast asleep. To be honest, so does Mr M, but then again, he's a guest in someone's home who's fast asleep, so what else is there to do?

And so, that's it. Hinky Boulevard.

Am I afraid of sleeping alone? No, I don't think so. I certainly like living alone, couldn't imagine it any other way. When I'm out on the road, in a hotel, I climb right in that bed and snooze away.

Does it have to do with thinking about the next day? Going to work, being stressed out? I don't know. If I'm home alone on a weekend, I stay up almost all night, but when I go to bed I'm certainly not all worked up about it. If it does have to do with work, I'm never thinking about it when hedging going to bed, other than, "Shit, I have to go to work tomorrow, and I don't want to go to bed."

I'm at a loss here.

Anyway, I did a little looking around today, and found out that I'm apparently not alone, because there seems to be something called clinophobia, which is, oh, my friends this is true, "the fear of going to bed." Explanations on this were fearing nightmares, bedwetting, or dying in one's sleep.

And I have to say, the thought of dying in someone else's company sure beats the hell out of dying alone, surrounded by clutter and in a t-shirt that usually has a stain on it.

In fact, the only thing worse, I guess, would be dying alone surrounded by clutter in a dirty t-shirt after wetting the bed. If that little disorder finds its way into my life, I won't be able to sleep at Mr M's either, and I'll traverse Hinky Boulevard and turn left onto the Flat Ass Crazy Highway.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* Acrowinners, we have acrowinners! So, what is the worst thing your doggie could investigate on a walk?
- Runner-Up is the DeepFatFriar, with his "Sexy elastic garters and triple E's." Milo likes my socks and underwear, so that's a distinct possibility, should someone throw something of that ilk out the window.
- And this week's winner is Marla (marlamarla), with her "Smelly Easter Geese And Their Eggs." Yes, that would definitely creep me out.
- Thanks to all who played, you've all done very well!

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Marla Bronstein said...

I heart you Bet..thank you for sharing.

11:38 PM  
Blogger Duke said...

Bet, I sure ain't no doctor, or even play one on TV, but here's an idea you might want to consider.

Could you have sleep apnea? I've heard in people who have it badly they often stop breathing. Before long your blood oxygen level drops which causes you to wake up in a panic, feeling like you're smothering to death. Heart rate goes through the ceiling too as your heart works to pump oxygen that doesn't exist. They often have panic attacks because of this stuff. Who wouldn't?

The reason I mention it is because I know guy who had all your symptoms and it turned out to be sleep apnea. He'd had it all his life. He also hated to go to bed because it led to waking up terrified and/or in an anxiety attack. They treated his apnea and it went away.

Just something you might want to rule out before some other things.

12:02 AM  
Blogger Bet said...

Thanks, Dukester. I've actually thought about it, but - get this - am afraid to have it checked out, because I don't want to have it! I do snore, which is supposedly a giveway.

Anyway, I thank you for your thought.

12:44 AM  
Blogger Lily said...

They can do things for sleep apnea if you have it. I also have the very occasional fear of falling asleep (sorry, I just love getting into bed), and sometimes I wake up in a startle thinking I"ve just died. I suspect that is some little sleep apnea, which I'll get once in a blue moon.

You're not the only one who's hinky about anything. Does realizing you're not alone in being hinky help?

6:39 AM  
Blogger Duke said...

Aww Bet, as Lily says, they can easily treat sleep apnea.

I suspect you're a lot more afraid now by not having it treated than you would be treating it. Of course, you'll have it whether you get checked or not.

You may not have it at all either but no way to tell until you ask a doc.

If you could see my doctor monotone down here he could bore you sleep in his waiting room for a quick exam.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

(((HUGS))) you are certainly not alone in your hinkiness. All this talk about sleep apnea - it would be a good thing to have checked out, but if you had it, wouldn't you also have it in hotel rooms at at Mr. M's?

When I get anxious, as I have been known to do, I also avoid my bed. I sleep on the couch if I sleep at all.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Bet said...

See, that's it. Though I'm grateful for the suggestions, that keeps coming back to me. I sleep at Mr M's, at hotels, and at my house when Mr M's here.

Oh, I'm just confused.

12:33 AM  
Blogger Lily said...

There could be two things going on -- the waking up startled kind of feeling could be sleep apnea, and the "fear of dying alone in your sleep" is probably not. You probably sleep okay in those other circumstances because you know if you don't make it through the night, someone will find you. And yes, I know this because my brain goes there.

12:55 AM  
Blogger Duke said...

Bet, just like I ain't a doctor, you aren't either. I guess the main point here is your problem could be a physical aliment even if it isn't apnea.

We're trying to nudge you into talking to a doc. It would be awful to think of living with a difficulty when it might be something easily treated.

That's all I'm saying *nudge* *nudge*

12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home