Sunday, May 22, 2011

(Fractured) Picture Sunday

Oh, my God, yes, here it is, a Picture Sunday! (Yes, I'm surprised, too.)

After many weeks of boredom and Paw Duty, I finally got a weekend away to head to B'burg for practice. Practice? Yes, practice.

You see, after his triumph last year with the "Two to Nine" recital, Mr M has decided to outdo himself. With his this year's "Two to Eleven" recital. Yes, a recital ending with eleven clarinets, just count them, I know you won't. And though I was the first to be wrong in telling him the Nine Clarinet recital wouldn't work, I am very happy in being the first to tell him the Eleven Clarinet recital won't work. I was wrong then, hope I'm wrong now.

And I have to say, the trip to B'burg Saturday, in the sun, with Milo in tow, was lovely. What a nice drive.

And so I attended my first recital rehearsal. It was pleasant. Nine clarinet players playing various numbers and getting to know each other. You know, most clarinet players are very nice and personable. It was quite the social event.

However. However!

I have been called upon to play the bass clarinet on two numbers. This would be a normal happening, except for one thing.

I don't know how to play the bass clarinet!

I mean, the bass clarinet has the same clarinet fingerings, but then again, it's not the same. Huge mouthpiece, fingers way removed from a regular clarinet.... Well, I can't explain, but it's just different.

Imagine my surprise when I was called upon on that first piece, to play a high B and high C, and I did! I thought I was in high cotton, but after that it was mainly squeaks and ugliness, and now I'm all hinky.

But Mr M lent me his bass to take home and work on. Which I will. However, he told me about how delicate the bass clarinet is, and how it can be damaged just putting the joints in place or storing. I played it a bit today, and then decided on my own method of storing.













A fleece blanket can only be good.

Well. So much for clarinets.

I've been waiting for two weeks to head east as well so I could stop by and visit the DeepFatFriar.

As you may or may not know, the DFF lives at Poderosa Central. Of course, I'm the Poderosa, Mr M is Poderosa East, and there in between.... DFF has his home which he has agreed should become Poderosa Central.

And he's been doing some work there!

And this is where our Picture Sunday becomes a Fractured Picture Sunday. Because DFF gave me some pictures and video that I can't upload and therefore regale you with.

But he's working on his land! He is working to make it a lovely place!

He's working on his driveway to make it lovely. He's digging gulleys and the whole thing, and sadly, he gave me pictures and video (of a flooding rain on his driveway which was amazing), that I don't seem to be able to load and show you.

I mean, he's been wheelbarrowing loads of gravel and everything else to make it work. And it IS working, though I can't show you, because the disc of pictures and video he he gave me that won't load.

Yes, he had the experience, as all of us here in the south valleys did, where those rains came and said rains washed his driveway basically away. And sadly, I can't show you that either, because the amazing video he shot won't load.

There were many shots of rain and gravel!

However!

Our Friend DFF isn't just working on his driveway!

He's also working on his yard, and that I can show you. Because I was there today today to take a picture with my own camera.

And well, I have to say... driveways and floods and the rest, this is the picture of the day.

See, DFF was doing some mowing, and decided to become creative. And he mowed a labyrinth right into his yard. And I was lucky enough to capture it.




















Yes, there is the labyrinth, with DFF and Milo right in the middle of it. I think it's magnificent. I hope you do, too.

Maybe by the time he gets his driveway finished, I'll find a way to upload the video of his flooded drive.

Or not.

It's a fractured Picture Sunday. But not really. The labyrinth is worth it all.

Happy week.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Capt. A said...

I've been told that I have to comment, so here I am.

I've already figured out how to negotiate the labyrinth. I just walk to the middle.
What's so hard about that?

Labyrinth, my eye.

11:53 PM  
Blogger Duke said...

Why does DFF have an alien crop circle in his yard? Are the pictures of the saucer that made it on the disc that won't load?

1:37 PM  
Blogger The Calico Quilter said...

Did you give the bass clarinet a pillow too when you tucked it in for nighty-night?

Oh, I love my word verification this time: holycha. Sounds like a new curse -- Holy Cha!

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home